If you’re in the market for a steel 29er, Niner Bikes is auctioning off a fleet of specially painted S.I.R. 9’s to benefit IMBA. People are bidding on six special edition Niner S.I.R. 9 framesets to raise money for IMBA. The paint scheme is themed after the ideals of the International Mountain Bike Association and every penny spent on the frames goes directly to the advocacy group.
THE NEW SIR 9
At a time when carbon super bikes dominate the stage, why would Niner shine a spotlight on the S.I.R. 9? Perhaps it’s better to ask “just what is it about steel bikes?” Why, when we get on a steel frame, are we instantly transported back to that first bike we loved as a kid? Why is steel just as relevant today as it was 50 years ago while other materials have come and gone? There wasn’t anything wrong with the S.I.R. 9 – like other Niners, ride it and love it. But something about steel being equated with retro seemed almost unfair to such a great bike. There is simply no reason frames built with one of the best metals on the planet shouldn’t benefit from and take full advantage of cool technologies like updated headsets standards, tapered forks and through axles.
- Proprietary steel tubeset for ideal function and ride quality
- Custom-bent double-butted Reynolds 853 DZB downtube
- 44mm Reynolds 631 head tube allows use of tapered or 1–1/8” forks
- Niner Bio-Centric II Bottom bracket system and removable downtube cable stops for clean singlespeed or geared setup
- CYA Compatible – run almost any contemporary crank style in geared set up
- 142 x 12mm rear Maxle
- Post mount brake bosses between seatstay and chainstay
- Investment cast stay bridges and dropouts
- Tamale Red or Arctic White
- MSRP $999
You can bid on these frames here!