USA Cycling announced Thursday the dates and venues for its 2012 American Mountain Bike Challenge (AMBC). All AMBC events will serve as qualifiers for the USA Cycling Mountain Bike Cross-Country National Championships.
Entering its 16th year in 2012, the 23-race AMBC series will visit 16 states in a six-month span. Racing begins with the U.S. Cup East Southeastern Regional Championship Series (SERC) #1 in Gainesville, Fla., on March 18, and concludes with the Camp Eagle Classic Mountain Bike Festival in Rocksprings, Texas on Sept. 1-2. The complete AMBC calendar is as follows:
- March 18: US Cup East/SERC #1, Gainesville, Fla.
- March 25: Chickasaw Trace Classic, Columbia, Tenn.
- April 1: US Cup East/SERC #2, Bryson City, N.C.
- April 14: Rumble at 18 Road, Fruita, Colo.
- April 22: US Cup East/SERC #3, Conyers, Ga.
- April 22: Stump Jump 2012, Spartanburg, S.C.
- April 29: US Cup East/SERC #4, Winder, Ga.
- April 29: Greenbrier Challenge, Hagerstown-Frederick, Md.
- May 5-6: The Idyllwild Spring Challenge, Idyllwild, Calif.
- May 6: US Cup East/SERC #5, Ducktown, Tenn.
- May 6: Iron Hill Challenge, Newark, Del.
- May 27: Iron Horse Bicycle Classic, Durango, Colo.
- June 10: US Cup East/SERC #6, Elizabethtown, Ky.
- June 24: US Cup East/SERC #7, Clemson, S.C.
- June 30–July 1: DINO AMBC Challenge, North Vernon, Ind.
- July 7-8: Bays Mountain Challenge, Kingsport, Tenn.
- July 13-15: Eureka Springs Fat Tire Festival, Eureka Springs, Ark.
- July 15: US Cup East/SERC #8, Knoxville, Tenn.
- July 15: Campmor H2H #4/17th Annual Bulldog Rump, Andover, N.J.
- July 29: US Cup East/SERC #9, Fort Payne, Ala.
- August 5: US Cup East/SERC #10, Fontana, N.C.
- August 12: Bear Creek Mountain Bike Challenge, Macungie, Pa.
- September 1-2: Camp Eagle Classic MTB Festival, Rocksprings, Texas
The AMBC was created in 1996 to provide opportunities for mountain bikers of all ages and abilities. Each stop on the series offers cross-country events, and several stops offer short-track cross country, downhill, time trials, or super D competitions as well. The top 10 finishers in each respective age group and ability category at an AMBC event will qualify to compete at the USA Cycling Mountain Bike Cross-Country National Championships. Visit the AMBC webpage to learn more about the nationwide calendar.